Living in New York City means literally being at the epicenter of the world and with World Pride coming up at the end of the month, we couldn't be more thrilled. Whether you'll be in New York at the parade, going to your favorite LGBTQ bar, or going to a house party, you should look your very best. We'll be walking with Kiehl's and documenting our own experience with some of our favorite products, so here is a list of our favorite PRIDE shirts, shorts, accessories, and oh-so-much-more. We even have a FREE exhibit recommendation as well!
1. 2xist Pride Ibiza Swim Short- We love these swimming shorts because not only are they bright and ready to celebrate pride, its versitile enough to really wear year round. The classic swim bottoms are perfect for activity around the beach, volleyball or any other game you might play. The shorts come up to the mid-thigh which is short but not too short for perfect ease of movement in or out of the water. Furthermore, the shorts are fully lined with a "quick dry mesh" which means you won't be sopping wet for 30 minutes or more. Pockets are always important and this one delivered.
2. Original Penguin Pride Rainbow Print Shirt- Pride celebrations aren't just going to on Pride itself but throughout June! This versatile short-sleeve button down can be dressed down with shorts or dress it up with pants and a summer blazer. The plain weave fabrication in this shirt gives it extra durability while making sure it doesn't get too warm on these hot summer days. We love the extra touch of their logo, Pete the penguin who gets tricked out for Pride in rainbow as well.
3. DKNY Belt Bag- Fanny packs as we like to call them here are back in style in every way, shape, or form. Trust us when we say it is practical for the Pride crowds where the last thing you'd want while celebrating is to lose your possessions. The limited-edition Pride Collection from DKNY is in partnership with the Hetrick-Martin Institute which provides advocacy for the LGBT community in NYC and beyond. Wear it anyway you want, whether on your waist, on your shoulder, it is a great piece to use year-round as well.
4. Kiehl's Pride Product Line-Up- Giving back to the community is something Kiehl's has done long before it was considered mainstream. Kiehl’s customers are going above and beyond with their pride. Customers will be able to take home special Pride products throughout the month of June. Kiehl's is launching their first-ever global Limited Edition Pride product line- up which includes amongst others our favorites, the Ultra Facial Cream and of course the Midnight Recovery Concentrate. Designed by author Daniel Gray-Barnett, what is truly awesome about this is "that he and his husband were the first same-sex couple to lodge their Notice of Intent to Marry at the registry office in Australia when the marriage laws had changed just a couple of years ago in December of 2017." In addition to all the new special products, Kiehl's is also donating a travel-size product with purchase to the Hetrick-Martin Institute as well.
5. BKLYN Pride Exhibit Stonewall 50 Art Installation- City Point in Brooklyn is the latest hotspot to pop up with trendy food spots, clothing, and now art instillations. City Point is celebrating BKLYN PRIDE with a Stonewall 50 installation inspired by Hugh Ryan's book When Brooklyn Was Queer. The experimental and unique instillation blends together a rainbow of cascading colors as a backdrop for historical art references. The instillation was created by Aaron Sciandra based off of the book by Hugh Ryan who is based right in Brooklyn as well! Ryan is the founder of the Pop-Up Museum of Queer History and has received many rewards for his outstanding contributions to the LGBTQ community. This is one instillation that shouldn't be missed!
Editors Note: There will be a book signing with author Hugh Ryan will take place on Saturday, June 29th from 2-4pm.
6. H&M Pride Socks - A throwback to the 1980's, we love these socks that come high up on your leg. The 3-pack has both black and white saying "PROUD", while the middle sock is your classic white with rainbow stripes. We personally love that old is new again and these can be worn in the summer as an accent to a t-shirt and shorts outfit or in the winter to keep your legs warmer. H&M is always a proud supporter of pride and their prices are always unbeatable. We also love their pool shoes, from their PRIDE x H&M collection which have a padded foot strap, stylish, and comfortable to wear around the beach or pool all day long.
7. 2Xist Pride Cotton No Show Brief- Lets be honest- if you're going to get down to your skivvies, pride is the day to do it and look your best. We know that 2XIST makes the most comfortable briefs we've ever put on with their Original Contour Pouch technology. The tagless label, soft cotton, and spandex for easy movement always puts 2XIST a cut above the rest. We like the no-show brief because it has a low-rise which exudes sexiness, high-cut opening so your thighs don't rub against it, and because the Retro Geo design is just cool as fuck.
8. Original Penguin Pride Polo- A staple in most mens' closets is the classic polo and this classic is one that you absolutely need to own. The short sleeve polo is crafter from pique fabrication to add texture to the polo. The ribbed cuffs on the sleeve give it another texture which also makes it a more comfortable fit. Coming in literally every color of the rainbow, our personal favorite colors are the cherry tomato which while bright and vibrant, can be worn with a plethora of different outfits. For a neutral, we'd recommend to go with the white as we love the clean rainbow lines on it and you can't get more classic than that!
By Nisim Frank
Pictures courtesy of company's respective websites and PR teams.